Thursday, August 11, 2011

Beef and Potato Rendang

From Spice by Christine Manfield page 178, 179


This is one dish where I decided to keep the heat up to the prescribed level.

The kids had steak and rice for dinner so the curry was the sole domain of the more mature palette.

...however the more mature guests I did have over that night weren't that hot on having a lot of chilli. "Oh well, too late now" I thought as I ground 6 large dried chillies into the spice mix. I think we used to call that 'accidently on purpose' when I was a kid.

Interesting about the result though... Plenty of "can't talk - eating" time and not much left at the end of the night.

Interesting comment from one - that the spice was certainly there but because of the complexity of the flavours it didn't seem to matter, or at least didn't get in the way. Such is the way with a proper made-from-scratch curry it would seem.

Certainly very tasty I thought. (but then again I keep saying all of these dishes are tasty...)

One thing I will try next time - the slow-cooking time for the meat wasn't enough for me. A lot of the liquid was left (which was meant to evaporate during the slow cooking) and the meat was tender but could have been more so. Maybe a difference in the heat of the stove or the type of the pot but mine still had plenty of liquid left at serving time.

Not that I'm complaining really - it was very tasty mixed in with the rice.

Happy cooking!

No comments: