Monday, August 22, 2011

Lamb with Roasted Cumin Crust, Smoked Eggplant Puree and Spicy Masala Sauce

From Spice by Christine Manfield, page 186, 187


What a moment! The dish actually looked like the picture from the book. Must be a first for me for any recipe I've ever cooked.

This dish was really about the masala sauce. Not one of the main recipes but a complex one never-the-less. Somewhat like a demi-glace but south-east-asian style.

The sauce was very rich and tasty. I've never made anything like it before, as well as never having made a beef stock before (thought I've made chicken stock a few times now...)


The beef stock is made and then other spices and ingredients are added before boiling down further until it becomes thick and rich.



Being the big fan of sauces that I am I made a full quantity of sauce for 6, and then cooked dishes for 2, giving myself a generous serving of sauce (3 or 4 times what I was meant to serve for myself). Much to my surprise I couldn't finish it! It was very rich and tasty and so packed with flavour without being heavy of any type of seasoning or distinct flavour like salt or sweet or sour.

Definitely one technique to add to the repertoire.

No comments: